When an individual can no longer manage his or her personal or financial affairs a Conservator may need to be appointed by the Court. A conservatorship may be necessary when a person is incapacitated due to a medical disability, declining mental capacity, a mental illness, or when a person is physically, mentally, or emotionally unable to care for themselves or make sound decisions. A Conservator may be appointed over the person or property of a disabled person. The Conservator over the person steps in and makes medical decisions and obtains medical treatment on the disabled person's behalf. A Conservator over the property manages and preserves the disabled person's assets, property, and income and oversees the payment of the disabled person's expenses.

When a minor child suffers from a disability, is living with someone other than his or her parents, or is the recipient of an inheritance or life insurance proceeds totaling over $20,000, a Guardian may need to be appointed by the Court to protect the interests of a minor child and/or to receive and manage money or property on behalf of a minor child. Guardians manage the child's property, invest money, final annual accountings with the Court and distribute the property to the child when the child turns 18 years of age.

We have proven experience in filing conservatorship and guardianship proceedings, representing Conservators and Guardians and advising each of their responsibilities, assisting with property management plans, and preparing periodic accountings for the Court.




Fiona Hill and Tom Ramsey Attorneys Conservatorships and Guardianships.jpg